Wednesday 8 May 2013

Life of a graduate student

Disclaimer: all character and events in this blog, even those that are based on real characters –are entirely fictional, all opinions are poorly written, and any copyrights issues – I don’t care. The following blog contains coarse language and due its contents it should not be cited anywhere (Shah 2013). They say don’t forget to cite.
Huh! Why I decided to write about life of a graduate student? What is there that has not been said and experienced?
I remember somebody wise once said each individual is different (…..citation need- they say don’t forget to cite), well I guess he forget that there are grad students. Isn’t guy? You know what I am talking we all share same “HAPPINESS”, get it? no darn! I still struggle with North American sarcasm! I mean we all share the same pain – structure is missing, too much information, too little information, what about the methodology, and biggest pain in………. referencing. Holy smoke! Why not we just have universal referencing, oh Chicago is a windy city, lets blew away some grad students, APA – who developed this one, bunch of psychos – we have treated lots of people, time to have fun with grad students, MLA – cant think of anything stupid, you guys are smart figure it out. Darn it! Grad studies killed my creativity, now even when I talk to people about normal stuff I tend to cite authors from my research.
 The other night with friends, “according to American department of energy 2012 we can use breweries residuals to produce energy.  NERD ALERT!!!! I was like seriously “Zishan” – 2012. What the hell!!
Sometime we graduate student even dream about our research. One night in the dream I figured out how to implement my methodology, I woke up in the middle of the night wrote it on chips bag with a marker and went back to sleep. I saw that after a week and trying to figure-out what the hell is that. God bless the grad studies, oh oh I mean! Supervisor bless the grad studies.
Some day we sleep in our offices, we meet our grad fellows in buses and library or in Tim Horton queue, we make guest appearances in social events, we decide to see a movie at the cinema hall when it was off the screen a month ago, we try to save leftover so we don’t have to cook lunch for tomorrow, we are the only people at the university on weekend, even the security staff recognize you, we are the biggest customer strata for Tim Horton and other stores at the campus, we can smell free food from our office, we text each other when there is a free food,……..the list is never ending(……..) citation needed…. They say don’t forget to cite, otherwise somebody is going to get in trouble.
CITE CITE CITE! What about my opinion, oh it is already stale!
Alrighty! I wrote this for fun, if I offended somebody please feel thank me! no seriously thank me and other fellow grad students!
If you want me to describe grad studies in one line I (Shah 2013 – they say don’t forget to cite) would say “it is complicated like my tax returns”  so many damn rules and regulations to follow.
That said, I still love being a student and love being in the midst of all this confusion, that make our life more interesting.
Three cheers to grad studies. Hip hip hurray…………..
  
   

1 comment: